Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Keep Your Home Warm this Winter

Salt Lake City Tenant Warming Their Toes by the Cozy FireplaceFire Safety Tips You Need to Know

Winter months result in holidays, memories – and seasonal fire hazards. It follows that the increased use of fireplaces, candles, and kitchen appliances during the winter months is why there are a lot more residential fires at this time of year. To see to it to keep your Salt Lake City home and family safe, it’s necessary to truly understand the fundamentals of good winter fire safety. By adopting some really simple tips, you can keep away from the most usual causes of winter fires, and guarantee a pleasurable winter season is yours to actually enjoy.

A crackling fire can simply be what you need for cozy winter nights. But at the same time, fireplaces should be used carefully and cleaned often to ascertain that the flames stay where they should. Among the most important safety tips for having a fireplace is to clean it before each usage. Ashes, built-up soot, and debris can become hazards, throwing sparks and causing burns and property damage. Starting with clean fireplace warrants that your fire will warm you safely any moment you light it.

Side by side with cleaning your fireplace, be sure that the damper is working well and is open previous to lighting your kindling. This will assure proper ventilation and prevent smoke from filling your home’s interior. Once lit, you should never leave a fire unattended and should keep children and pets at a safe distance. One last point, use precautionary measures at any time while removing ashes and unburned wood from a fireplace. Coals can hide under ashes and stay hot for more or less three days, so stir ashes thoroughly and test for heat before scooping them out. And take into consideration an annual chimney sweep to keep creosote deposits from ruining the festivities.

Together with fireplaces, candles are one more common source of harmful residential fires. Open flames can create a relaxing mood in your home, but on the flip side, they should always be used thoughtfully and very carefully. According to the National Fire Protection Association, candles start an average of 7,610 home structure fires each year. To always keep the risk of fire low, you should, all the time, set a lit candle at a distance from anything that might be flammable, including curtains, houseplants, and home décor items. Never move a candle that has melted wax pooling in the center, and never leave a lit candle unattended. In this fashion, you can enjoy all of your candle-lit evenings quite safely.

It’s no wonder that plenty of our winter holidays are correlated with scrumptious treats and very special meals. However, all that extra cooking indicates that kitchen fires may happen quite a lot in the winter months. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are more than 189,000 cooking fires in the U.S. each year. The root cause of these fires is food or kitchen appliances left unattended.

To ascertain that a kitchen fire doesn’t bog down your holidays, ensure to stay in the kitchen whenever you’re simmering or baking food. It’s furthermore critical to set a timer to remind yourself to bring out food from the stove or oven when you’re done cooking. Some home cooking fires happen on the stovetop, so ensure to keep flammable objects (including dish towels and other fabrics) well away from your stove just before turning any of the burners on. Clean up spills or overflowing food quickly, and use pots and pans that are in good shape.

Lastly, if your holiday cooking plans include frying, use utmost caution around hot oil. Never leave a pot of boiling water or oil unattended, and keep a pot lid around. If the oil starts to flame up, stop it immediately by covering the pot with the lid, turning off the heat, and allowing the stove and pot to cool.

By bearing in mind and applying these simple safety tips, you can easily keep away from the winter season’s most common fire hazards. Would you like to find out more safety tips for renters? We can certainly help! Call 801-889-1517 to speak with a professional Salt Lake City property manager today.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.